Bookstore and Library Hospice

The closing of bookstores and stationery stores seems to be a growing trend.  I've become an unofficial part of the local bookstore and stationery store hospice brigade.  When Barnes and Nobles moved, I was there, stocking up on classics and Kartos stationery.  When Borders closed their doors, I was there.  When Spark Fine Stationery closed downtown, I was there to buy envelopes and cards.  When Papyrus went out of business, I was there, though I hear that after a hiatus of nearly 15 years, they are to reopen.  One hopes that it is not only for wedding stationery which has managed to survived.  And the thank you note tradition which holds on, among the mothers who teach to their children, as mine did, or even for the marking of significant days, which Hallmark has had a large part in preserving, but for the art of correspondence as well.  One wonders that in a day when so many have had a college education, that so many are so little versed in what was once called an education in arts and letters.

At the start of the new year, another bookstore will close it's doors.  It has afforded many happy hours for my brother and I.  An important destination on his visits home to this area:  the Mishawaka branch of Bargain Books, that capacious store of the yellow sign, nestled between the ABC Warehouse and Spares and Strikes, just behind the Steak and Shake.  They have vast holdings in both fiction and non-fiction, and everything is well-marked in yellow banners.  My brother has always been a fan of science fiction, and so gives that department, the used bookstore section, and the science department a thorough treatment.  I have always enjoyed going through the magazines, the discounted Paperchase stationery, the poetry, and the sort of personal library mainstays that would cost much more if purchased at full price, reference works like atlases and cookbooks.  Their foreign language section is large, as are their section in children's books and classics--two great gift categories.  A favorite category for gift-giving for me has always been biography.  What better way to show honor to a life you admire than with an admirable life?  They have a large selection of travel books with which help you plan your travels, and those gorgeous coffee table books which take you there.  I always loved that they carried niche series like Nick Bantock's Griffon and Sabine books.  It's worth a trip for any regional bibliophile--before the 1st of January if you're a little competitive like me, and again on or after the 1st, when everything will be 50% off, if you're a bargain hunter, also like me.

I recently began a correspondence with a classicist, and am using that as my excuse for watching Netflix's holdings on that period, including a Spartacus binge (not for children).  Among gladiators, only a death upon the sands of competition was considered fitting.  I imagine that among bookstores, only a death in selling books is considered fitting.  I hope you will spread the word, and do you part, in helping Bargain Books, on Grape Road, have a good bookstore's death.  And don't forget the responsibility of the amateur librarian.  I do not know where this age of mega bookstores and hemorrhaging libraries is taking us, but we must all do our part to keep knowledge alive.  They are not all being rendered digital.  It is up to us to preserve that which is worth preserving.  Future generations may rely on our efforts at this juncture.


Comments