Keeping Winter Bright

Imbolc is the Celtic festival of hearth and home.  It falls midway between the winter solstice and the vernal equinox, and is celebrated with the lighting of candles and hearth fires to celebrate the return of warmer, brighter days.  According to Celtic folklore, Cailleach, the old woman of winter, ventures forth if it is sunny, to gather firewood for a long winter still-to-come.  But if the weather’s bad, Cailleach will remain tucked up in her bed, and winter will soon end.  The forecast in the Midwest is for a blizzard, so be of good cheer, spring is near!  

Until then, light some candles.  A berry-scented candle that my youngest sister made me for Christmas is keeping me company right now.  I’ve been lighting a candle every night.  It travels around the apartment with me in the evening as I work on things.  

It is a big, beautiful star that we have up in our sky.  But until you see it again, you can make your own light!

"...[I]t is winter in Narnia, and has been for ever so long, and we shall both catch cold if we stand here talking in the snow.  Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom where eternal summer reigns around the bright city of War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?" -- Tumnus the Faun to Lucy Pevensie, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Friends are bright too!  Say "yes" to tea!


Comments

  1. Ah, my friend, you have made my heart light today! Two of my favorite subjects - Celtic lore and Narnia. :) I shall not mind the blizzard so much - I have a warm fire, plenty of tea, baskets of yarn and a long book on tape. And happiest of birthdays to you as well!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment